Friday, August 13, 2004

Mutamassik, "Gulf Rock Mix"

Mutamassik, "Gulf Rock Mix"


One of the best tracks from Sound-Ink's Colapsus compilation. Mutamassik's debut album is out sometime this fall (I think), and she has a split mix with DJ /rupture out on Violent Turd. More tomorrow (and the actual text for yesterday's Elliott Smith post); right now I desperately need some sleep. For now, suffice it to say she rules- Mutamassik is heavy Arabic/African-influenced hip-hop, and this track hits especially hard. Sorry if I don't get more descriptive, but I'm afraid I don't know most of the instruments sampled and can't make out the sampled vocals, or even what language they were originally in. Keep an eye out for the Definitive Works LP; this is extraordinarily promising stuff.

Buy The Bidoun Sessions
Buy Colapsus or High Alert 12"

2 Comments:

At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Solid. Nice chunky low-end, nice set of bombastic samples. One imagines it menacing a dancefloor.

=darwin

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Pretty sure you're referring to the Bidoun Sessions mix on VT, unless they've released an unmixed "selections from" type EP as Ninja Tune are wont to do. She does have a couple of EPs out though- "War Booty" on Soot and the aforementioned "High Alert." Do correct me if I'm wrong, though- I'm really itching for a Mutamassik full-length...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home